Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Betty's Corn Bread or Muffins


My first efforts at gluten free corn bread were very dry and crumbly. Consequently I was delighted when a friend passed on her recipe which turned out beautifully moist and tasty. I have altered the recipe slightly, but it is very close to Betty's original.

CORN BREAD

2/3 cups butter or margarine (I use light olive oil)
1/2 cup sugar or honey
4 eggs
1 2/3 cups milk or milks substitute (I use coconut milk)
1 1/2 cups rice flour
1 cup tapioca starch (or a mix of tapioca and potato starch)
1 cup corn meal
2 tsp guar gum (I use 1 tsp xanthan gum)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

METHOD:
-Cream butter (or substitute) with sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat in eggs and milk.
-Sift dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
-Add the four mixture to the creamed mixture and mix till smooth.
-Pour into a greased 9"x13" pan or 16 greased or papered muffin cups.
-Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

We use corn bread as a side with stews and soups as well as well as for breakfast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tried this finally and loved it. Whats even better my husband loved it too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin