Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Rhubarb Pie With a Twist

My birthday was on August 1st. I turned the lovely age of 34!
We also had to go to a wedding that day so birthday stuff kind of got put on hold for a couple of days. That was just fine!
On Monday, my husband kindly ordered Chinese food for supper to give me a break from cooking (from a restaurant in our town that will coat their ginger beef with only corn starch on request :).
In the afternoon, I got to thinking that I would really like a rhubarb pie for desert. I haven't made one yet this year and it is one of my favorites! So, because it was my birthday, I thought I would splurge and make some pies. They were delicious (!!!) served with my daughter's homemade dairy free ice cream (I've got to post that recipe soon while it is still hot out). I vacillated over making a custard pie or a regular one... but I finally decided to try out an idea that I had (using an extra ingredient) with the regular rhubarb pie recipe...


RHUBARB JELLO PIE

Pastry for a 2 crust pie (either for a mix or using the recipe that I will be posting separately so it is easy to find :)

4-5 cups rhubarb, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups sugar
pinch salt
4 Tbsp corn starch
1/2 small package of jello (I used strawberry, but cherry or raspberry would be good )

METHOD:
-Prepare GF pastry according to directions.
-Put all other ingredients into a mixing bowl and toss to mix and coat the rhubarb.
-Turn fruit mix into the pie shell.
-Roll out top crust according to directions, flute edges and cut slits in the top.
-Sprinkle the top crust with sugar. Bake on bottom shelf at 350 degrees for 45-55 min.
-Serve with whip cream or ice cream - it is heavenly warm!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin